Monday, May 16, 2011

Electric motors problems

The recent submarine model I had early this year had a lot of problems with it. The main issue I had with the sub was the electric motors. The motors were not exposed openly to the water, they were secured in a waxed injected plastic casing. Somehow water still managed to leak through the casing to the motors. Everyone knows electric and water does not mix together well. About a week later, the motors shorted out. I been searching the web all night, trying to find  a way to create watertight seal for the motors. The most difficult obstacle  is creating a seal around moving parts. I believe I have came upon a way to fix this. I found another blog on this same subject, that took me to a web page all about projects like my own at (http://www.homebuiltrovs.com/howtobilgeconversion.html). I believe this is the plan I am going to go with. It's simple, reliable, and cheat(In the Sea Perch price range). Instead of taking the risk again like early this year, I can buy it and hopefully never have to worry about this problem anytime soon.

Thank You Internet

1 comment:

  1. Yo Josh, cool project. My brother works here

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAE_Systems_Submarine_Solutions

    He has been in their design department for years. Let me know if you want to email him. A lot of the stuff they do is secret, though.

    ReplyDelete